Tuesday, June 22, 2010

I've Been Naked for Two Days

Okay, not really. Not TOTALLY. I have been doing the rounds of doctors and mammogram ladies so I really HAVE been mostly undressed. Tomorrow I refuse to take off any articles of my clothing for any reason at all. So there. I have a new gynecologist and I really like her. She was very gentle and understanding and really seems to take her time. Of course I immediately became less fond of her when she told me I need surgery and that they can't knock me out with a 2x4 before inserting that damnable IV. While I realize that it is totally insane to be more afraid of having the pre surgery blood work and the IV inserted than I am of the actual procedure that's just how I roll. I guess that everyone has something that they are terrified of. I have a couple (snakes and airplane travel come to mind), but the IV, blood test one tops the list. It actually has stopped me from going to the doctor at times when I knew I needed to, it's debilitating, it's embarrassing, and most people just don't "get" how I can be so scared of it. I had to have blood drawn for the recent round of What's Up With My Uterus, and I wasn't even able to sleep the night before.

Yesterday's fun events included a sonogram where they threaded a catheter thru my cervix and into my uterus in order to fill it with saline solution. It's not really as much fun as it sounds, and it does tend to the messy. Even *I* could see the polyp in there (they have thoughtfully provided a flat screen, HD full color screen for the patient's viewing pleasure), so I guess it must be a doozy. The polyp has joined forces with the fibroids that the last sonograms showed. I have the best filmed uterus in the South these days I swear. The insurance company must be scratching their heads and thinking, WTF?? Anyway, I am having a hysteroscopy with a D&C done -- minimally invasive out patient procedure with a short recovery period. Not sure just when, but it will be soon. We are supposed to go back up to NC next week, but Mike says the surgery takes precedence, and I guess it should. This will get rid of the polyps and the fibroids that likely have caused all the problems. I think it's pretty rotten of my uterus to act up like this. I mean you go along for 51 years taking care of your uterus as best one can, and then it goes all postal on ya. Internal organs. Can't shoot 'em, can't live without 'em.

2 comments:

Reillybug said...

Aw Lizz! I am sorry about the needle IV icky stuff. When I had my surgery I was going to go postal if one more person stuck me with a needle. See if they can give you some Xanax or something to help you through it. Sending lots of zen to help you through this.

Lizz said...

Isn't it insane to be more worried about that than anything else? It isn't like it's a huge painful ordeal or anything .... GAH!